It’s almost Father’s Day! Celebrate! So here’s five things I love about being a dad in the order I thought of them.
1. When the kids fall asleep in the car (or on the bench in Cheesecake Factory like Emma did this evening) and I get to carry them. There’s not a lot of things like having your kid snuggle on your shoulder.
2. Coming home. Home from work, home from a trip, home from just going outside. It’s a lot of fun when the kids come screaming and running at me when I do get home.
3. Reading and telling stories. This one is more for Emma, because Levi really isn’t all about that life right now. But, Emma really loves stories. Her favorite one is how mommy and daddy started dating or the Bible one with the blood (the plagues in Exodus).
4. Watching them learn how to communicate. From Levi saying “no” to everything to Emma being able to say her mother’s phone number, it’s pretty amazing to watch my kids learn how to talk and communicate. It’s a bit surreal to see it happen over time, but it’s been a lot of fun.
5. It has shown me the favor of God. We know we are lucky to be able to have kids. Lucky to have the kids we have. Lucky to have kids as quick as we have had them. I see all of it as the favor of God. Not in a, I’ve earned it way. But just God’s unmerited favor in our lives. It’s truly beautiful and breathtaking.
So bring on number 3!